2020 Southern Living Idea House
2020 Southern Living Idea House-You may have seen several photos floating around of this year’s Southern Living Idea House, but I always think it’s fun to study them and share a few details to notice. We may not all live in a gorgeous white house by the sea, but there are often small things that we can replicate or draw inspiration from for our own homes.
The 2020 idea house was designed by Heather Chadduck–one of my favourites–and is located in Amelia Island, Florida.
2020 Southern Living Idea House
- No skimping on style in these halls and stairways. This is an area I often overlook, but I love how she repeated statement lighting in the entry/hallway. My first thought would’ve been to choose one statement light and fill in with can lights but this makes such an impact leading from one space to another.
- Long hall? Use multiple consoles.
- That long brown and white runner has been getting lots of attention online. She had several smaller rugs sewn together. Such a smart idea!
- Tassels dress up any door.
- I like the idea of using an iron handrail as they did in the back stairwell. Simple, pretty and functional.
- She created a (beautiful) gallery wall to balance out the door on the other side of the fireplace. (Love that picture hanging system. Here’s a similar one.)
- Not every end table has to go on the “end”. I like how she floated an antique pedestal table in front of the settee.
- Fill your fireplace with natural elements during the Summer–or year-round, if you use yours as little as we do. . . 😉
- I’ll never tire of layered rugs. (Also helps to keep the thinner one in place.) 2020 Southern Living Idea House
- Well, this backsplash is something but if you’re looking for a less permanent way to replicate it, a peel and stick mural like this one could be fun.
- Everybody needs a dish pantry like this. I do, of course, love the idea of using pretty baskets and jars to hold everyday items. But, truthfully, the best idea I can probably replicate here is to stick my bamboo flatware in a glass jar and call it a day. 🙂 2020 Southern Living Idea
- Do you see a theme here? I’m a fan of the wallpaper on top with painted trim/cabinetry/walls on the bottom.
- When wallpaper is the star, you can keep your mirrors simple and small.
- Monogrammed hand towels elevate the whole look.
- Did you catch that the wallpaper is repeated on the back of the roller shade in the last picture?
- Simple beds dressed up in lots of fabric in these bedrooms. This could be a good solution if you have a more traditional bed but want a change. Even if a custom canopy isn’t in the cards, you can soften up a headboard by draping a pretty blanket or piece of fabric over the back.
- That bunk room! Love a wallpapered ceiling–and a fun light–in a small space.
- A small runner between the bunks adds a nice layer of texture.
- I like how a pair of smaller sconces were mounted lower on the brick fireplace as a way to add lighting without worrying about lamps/cords.
- A big mirror above a pretty bar cart always makes for a nice porch vignette and opens up space.
- No outdoor rug is necessary! Great idea to stain every couple of boards to create a stripe effect on the porch floor.
- A swing bed is officially on my “someday/eventually list”. Zzzzzzz.
- Painted garage doors are also on my radar.
Living Idea HouseLiving Idea House